Recently, Microsoft has disclosed the new Premium tier for Azure firewall and considers it as a next- generation firewall for highly sensitive and regulated environments. Let us check out what are all the new features and capabilities added to the Azure Firewall premium.
Table of Content
- What is Azure Firewall
- Features of Azure Firewall Premium
What is Azure Firewall?
Azure Firewall is a cloud-based network security service to prevent and secure the Azure virtual network resources. To protect resources, it uses a static public IP address for virtual network resources so that outside firewalls can easily identify the traffic originating from that particular virtual network.
Amazing Features of Azure Firewall Premium
- Transport Layer Security Inspection – The premium version of Azure Firewall decrypts outbound traffic, performs the needful security functions and re-crypt the traffic sent to the original destination.
- Intrusion Detection & Prevention System (IDPS) – The premium-tiered firewall provides signature- based IDPS for detecting attacks by observing specific patterns or known malicious instructions sequence used by malware such as byte sequence in network traffic.
- Web Categories – The premium version lets administrators allow/deny user access to the internet-based categories to minimize the time spent on managing individual fully qualified domain names (FQDNs) and URLs.
- URL Filtering – This is an amazing capability added to Azure Firewall premium version. It lets users access specific URLs for both encrypted traffic and plain text, especially being used in congestion with the web categories. It also restricts access to web content using built-in URL filtering and enhances content filtering capabilities using web categories feature.
At present, Azure Firewall Premium is in public preview. It is not recommended for production workloads and is provided without any service level agreement. Certain features are not supported in the preview.
Moreover, premium-tiered firewalls are also compatible with the standard-tiered policies.
With the arrival of Azure Firewall Premium in the market, Azure is consigning the setup of the new features to Firewall Policy only. Nonetheless, the cloud-claimed Firewalls Rules (Classic) will keep on being upheld and will be utilized for configuring existing features of Standard Firewall.
We hope you found the article informative and useful. For more latest and updated news regarding Microsoft Azure, ML and AI, please keep visiting our website.
Moreover, if you are short of Azure engineers or other Azure talents for your project, PeoplActive can help you find suitable candidates worldwide. It works on remote hiring and delivering the right match talents.